Friday, February 28

Review: Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream & Ultra Facial Oil-Free Gel Cream

I've always been very interested in Kiehl's skincare products but I kept holding out on trying their products because I find them to be a little pricey. I was on the lookout for a new moisturizer to bring to Beijing and I took the plunge and bought the Ultra Facial Oil-Free Gel Cream at the airport. I was actually planning to get the Ultra Facial Cream but it was out of stock so the sales assistant recommended the oil-free formula instead. She was kind enough to give me a generous sample of the Ultra Facial Cream so I got to try both formulas.


The Ultra Facial Cream has a great consistency. It's very creamy but it's not too thick so you can definitely use this under makeup. It's rich enough for me to use as my night time moisturizer yet light enough for me to use in the morning before I head out, with or without makeup.


This worked really well for me in winter when I was in Beijing and it continued to perform in the crazy heat and humidity when I got back to Singapore. It was actually a pleasant surprise because I was expecting it to be too rich for my combination skin in this humidity.


Personally, I use the Ultra Facial Cream at night because I prefer gel formulations for my morning skin care routine. I actually leave the jar in the fridge because the coolness is so refreshing! This is exceptionally fantastic at the end of the day after you have removed all your makeup.


The Ultra Facial Oil-Free Gel Cream, as the name suggests, is a hybrid between a gel and a cream. It's consistency is pretty weird. I would say it is more like a gel but it is very runny for a gel. The product will move if you tilt the jar so be careful if you're clumsy! The product is much thinner and it sinks into the skin much faster than the Ultra Facial Cream but I don't think it feels much lighter on the skin. The gel-cream texture definitely feels heavier than a regular gel moisturizer so it felt a little weird in the beginning. It doesn't affect the moisturizer's performance in any way and I've since gotten used to the weird consistency.


The Ultra Facial Oil-Free Gel Cream is slightly less moisturizing and I think it will be more suitable for use in the mornings or for oily skin types. It is still sufficiently moisturizing for my combination skin but I prefer something that is sightly richer. Preference aside, it is a great day time moisturizer and it does keep my skin nicely hydrated throughout the day.


Both the Ultra Facial Cream and the Ultra Facial Oil-Free Gel Cream are excellent daily moisturizers that are fuss-free and easy to apply. I prefer the Ultra Facial Cream for it's consistency and moisturizing properties but I think the oil-free formulation will be better if you're looking for a mosturizer that is not too heavy for this hot and humid weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment