Wednesday, June 11

Review: NIVEA Lip Care

I remember the NIVEA cherry lip balm was one of the first lip balms I bought and as a shy teenager, I thought the red tint was a little too much for me so I gave it to my mum. I did use up an entire stick of Essential Care and that was the end of my relationship with NIVEA lip balms until a few years ago. NIVEA repackaged their Lip Care range and launched some new products like a Pure & Natural line and I decided to give them a go again. This is a collective review of some of the lip balms in the NIVEA Lip Care range currently available.


The Pure & Natural line caught my attention when it first came out but I didn't want to try it because of the relatively unconventional flavors. Only two out of the four flavors in the line are available in Singapore and they are Camomile & Calendula and Olive & Lemon. I didn't like any of the ingredients and I was afraid that I would hate the scent. I did finally pick up the Camomile & Calendula lip balm and I was pleasantly surprised by the scent. I have no idea how to describe the scent but it is nowhere near as repulsive as I expected it to be. It has a very mild scent and I actually really, really enjoy it. The lip balm is fairly thin and it wears off pretty quickly. You definitely have to reapply this pretty often, especially if you are addicted to their slick feel of lip balm on your lips like I am. It does keep your lips nicely hydrated and I find that it works very well under lipsticks.

I chanced upon the Pure & Natural Mint & Mineral lip balm in Bangkok and of course, I had to buy it because I couldn't get it in Singapore. It came in a duo with Essential Care and I thought it was a good chance for me to try out an old product again. I absolutely love the Mint & Mineral flavor. It smells exactly like dental floss and it just reminds me of fresh breath. I love to use this after a meal because the mint smell makes me feel like I've had a breath mint of some sort and it is just so refreshing. It performs the same when it comes to moisturizing my lips as the Camomile & Calendula one so it's hydrating properties are fairly basic.

The Essential Care lip balm has a vanilla scent that is sweet and fairly generic. I find that the texture is a little thicker than the two lip balms from the Pure & Natural line. This means that it stays on my lips for a slightly longer period of time and this does help my lips to feel like they're moisturized for a longer period of time.

My boyfriend bought the NIVEA Men Active Care lip balm during winter last year and he didn't like it so he gave it to me. It doesn't have any scent or colour so this might be suitable for people who are are looking for a very simple and fuss-free lip balm. The texture is more like the lip balms from the Pure & Natural line and I definitely need to go over my lips with it quite a few time to build up the layers to my desired thickness.


As a whole, I think all the NIVEA lip balms perform the same. They are not very thick so that makes them very suitable to be worn under lipstick. If you're bothered by the feel of lip balm on your lips then you may want to give these a try. However, I personally love the slick feel of lip balm on my lips and I find that these don't give me that kind of thickness. They do keep my lips fairly hydrated but they will not be sufficient if I have flaky lips and they are definitely not what you want to rely on in winter. These lip balms are definitely more suitable for normal lips and I do not recommend them to people with very dry lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment