Thursday, November 6

Review: Clinique 3-Step System

Clinique was having a roadshow in Sephora a couple of months ago and they were giving out samples of their 3-Step System. I received the dry combination set which consists of the Liquid Facial Soap, Clarifying Lotion 2 and Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel. First off, I just want to say that I don't have problematic skin so this review is not meant for you if you are looking for acne solutions. The Clinique 3-Step System consists of very basic products which I was really keen to try out and this review will only cover the products' basic properties for non-problematic skin types.

The samples were of a pretty good size and I was able to get a really good feel of all three products. I'm not very impressed by the system as a whole as I find it to be a little too drying for my skin type. I think this system will be more suitable for oily skin.


The Liquid Facial Soap is a gel cleanser that does a very thorough job at getting rid of any surface dirt and grime. It makes my skin absolutely squeaky clean and I'm not sure if I like that. I do have combination skin but I feel that this cleanser completely strips my skin of its natural oils and it can be very drying. My skin wasn't flaky but I definitely feel the tightness that is often associated with dry skin. This is a little too strong for my combination skin and I definitely prefer a cleanser that is less stripping.


The Clarifying Lotion 2 is probably my least favourite step in the system. This toner contains alcohol, and probably a lot of it, because the first thing that you smell is the alcohol. It's probably just as bad as nail polish remover. You do get used to the scent after awhile but that offers no comfort. It is a very basic toner and does a good job at picking up any residue left from your cleanser. The alcohol and witch hazel doesn't bother my skin but I'm sure it can be too stripping for a lot of skin types so do keep that in mind.

My favourite step of the system is the moisturizer. The Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel does live up to its name in my opinion. I used it in the morning and at night and I'm so impressed. I love this so much that I went to get the 200ml version and I've been using it religiously twice a day ever since. Initially, I was kind of on the fence about it because I don't really fancy gel moisturizers. I prefer creams over gels, especially for the night. However, after having used this for a couple of weeks, I find that my skin does look dramatically different. I don't know what it is but my skin's texture just seems so much smoother. I have very dull and uneven skin and I have to say that this moisturizer has made a world of difference for me. This gel moisturizer is sufficiently hydrating for my skin and I have not experienced any dryness. However, I don't think this will be sufficient for dryer climates and I did use another moisturizer on my recent trip to Beijing.


Overall, the Clinique 3-Step System is not the best skin care regime for me but I'm really glad I discovered the Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel. Do check it out if you have combination or oily skin!

No comments:

Post a Comment